Doctoral Degree (PhD)
Applicants are required to submit the following:
This applies to both local and international applicants
- A Departmental application Form + attach a full CV (including copies of academic transcripts)
- A UCT application Form (please read the relevant information if you are a foreign student
- A (+/- 1000 word) At PhD level this document should be in the form of a mini-research proposal. This will be used to consider the fit between your interests and our staff and thus is critically important (Please use the departmental website to determine if your research interests fit with departmental research strengths. Prospective students will also need to propose a supervisor in the application enclosed so you should familiarise yourself with staff members interests (through, for instance, the departmental staff page and staff's published research)
- Students who have completed their Masters degree elsewhere are required to submit a passport sized photograph with their application
- Students who have completed their Maters degree within the Oceanography Dept. should list the names of two members of staff who will act as referees
- Deadline dates: The Department reviews postgraduate applications for dissertation Masters and PhD degrees twice a year in June for a second semester start. The deadline for these applications is end May each year. For the coursework Masters programme, as well as dissertation Masters and PhD degrees looking to start in February, we will review applications in November. The deadline for these applications is end October each year.
- Applicants will be notified by the Faculty of the outcome of their application.
• Requirements for admission to postgraduate study can be found on the SCIENCE FACULTY website.