The department currently offers a Masters degree in Oceanography through either a combination of taught courses and short dissertation or through complete dissertation.
To be eligible to apply for a Masters degree, a candidate must have the equivalent to a UCT Honours degree in Oceanography or a related discipline with excellent marks. This is a minimum of a four year degree, with a significant research component in the fourth year. If you are uncertain as to your eligibility, you would be advised to approach the South African Qualifications Association (SAQA) to review your transcripts. A SAQA score of 7 would be considered equivalent to Honours, in which case you would be eligible to apply to our Masters programmes. Please note that eligibility to apply does not automatically constitute acceptance to the programme.
Applicants are required to submit the following to be considered into the Masters Programme:
This applies to both local and international applicants
- A Departmental application Form + attach a full CV (including copies of academic transcripts)
- A UCT application Form (please read the relevant information if you are a foreign student)
- A (+/- 1000 word) statement that focus on your research interest. (Please use the departmental website to determine if your research interests fit with departmental research strengths. Prospective students will also need to propose a supervisor in the application enclosed so you should familiarise yourself with staff members interests (for instance, the departmental staff page and published research).
- Students who have completed their Honours degree elsewhere are required to submit a passport sized photograph with their application
- Students who have completed their Honours degree within the Oceanography Dept. should list the names of two members of staff who will act as referees
- Deadline dates: The Department reviews postgraduate applications for dissertation Masters and PhD degrees twice a year in June for a second semester start. The deadline for these applications is end May each year. For the coursework Masters programme, as well as dissertation Masters and PhD degrees looking to start in February, we will review applications in November. The deadline for these applications is end October each year.
- Applicants will be notified by the Faculty of the outcome of their application.
• For queries on Taught Masters, please contact the course convener: A/Prof. Marcello Vichi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• For more information on the Masters degrees [click here]
• Requirements for admission to postgraduate study can be found on the SCIENCE FACULTY website.